Monday, February 28, 2011

A FATHER LEADING THROUGH EXAMPLE: SERVANT LEADERSHIP

Thanks to all of you who contributed your examples of excellent Servant Leaders. Your examples included religious leaders, business people, community activists, parents and many others.

In particular I want to recognize the story the father of an anonymous contributor. This story(in the column at the right) strikes right to the essence of leadership lessons covered in the Camino workshop! While the story has a religious theme, even if you are not religious, I believe you will find it an important leadership lesson. This great father was clearly anchored to core values, and guided by a moral compass. It also reminds us that all of us have the potential to influence and lead others; you don't have to be the CEO, president, team leader or head of the organization to have a positive impact of others; each of us can be a servant leader and positively impact others around us!





A FATHER LEADING THROUGH EXAMPLE: SERVANT LEADERSHIP

Although I have known many great "servant Leaders" in business and academic pursuits, when I think of the ones that have most affected my life, affected who I am, and my ability, in turn, to be a leader myself, my father stands out. As a humble rancher and oil field laborer, my father never set a sales record, or made an amazing presentation to "C" level management. He was never the leader who received the applause, made the speech or accepted the trophy; still he was a true leader to those whom he influenced around him.
As the father of eight children my dad had plenty of opportunities to exhibit unending patience as youthful follies; such as driving a tractor into the truck, inevitably came along. He was quiet, steady and constant; we always knew where he stood and why he stood there. Dad's life provides a basic primer for those with whom he associated because he did the right thing for the right reason; basing every choice on principle rather than circumstance.

One primer lesson focuses on my sister's high school graduation. A week before the graduation, Dad realized it was scheduled on a Sunday and quietly apologized to my sister saying he would not be able to attend.
Opposition from mom came fast. Dad was reminded that our own religious congregation had changed its meeting time to accommodate the graduation! Congregation leaders would even be offering the prayers! Was he "holier than them?!" His daughter was even the Valedictorian! She had put our town on the map with her nationally recognized academic achievements. Didn't he care for her feelings?!
Through all of this, dad held his ground. At the graduation, Mom announced through tears to school administrators that her husband was not there. In response to the principal's query if Sunday observance were a personal choice or religious conviction, my father replied simply: "My Savior has given me all I have and am. All he asks is that I honor Him on the Sabbath day. A graduation is to honor the graduates."

It may have seemed that my father stood alone and perhaps had no influence on anyone around him at this time. However, his example did make me re-examine my own personal understanding of the Sabbath day, and my motives for doing or not doing certain things. I think it helped others to do the same. The following year, and every year since whenever the calendar lists Sunday as graduation day, letters from seniors have been written to the school administration explaining that they would not be attending the graduation ceremony if it is to be held on Sunday! It seems my father's example may have given "voice" to others who shared similar convictions!

Like so much of his life my Father's regard for Sunday was part of what defined him. He did not demand others to agree or hold the same convictions. He honored individuals for who they were as they came. Remaining constant Dad never swayed to the winds of peer pressure for societal acceptance. As a firm pillar, Dad impacted our community for good one small decision at a time.

- Anonymous

No comments: